Monday 4 May 2015

Martyn Crucefix and his blog

Martyn Crucefix is hardly a newcomer to the U.K. poetry scene. In fact, I've been a reader of his verse since the early 1990s. His blog, however, has been a more recent development and is one that I very much enjoy. 

Highlights include his posts on the experience of judging a poetry competition (see here) and on nostalgia (see here). The latter is of particular interest to me, as I feel nostalgia plays a key role in my own verse. Crucefix weaves general poetic points through specifics and through his own experience of his father's failing memory. The following quote is crucial to his argument, but I do recommend you have a read of the whole thing:

"Remembering our past serves to remind us of who we are, what we have been, what intimacy we have achieved, what we are capable of , then and now, in the future. It builds resilience because, although often concerned with trauma and sadness, it is posed in a redemptive sequence..."

No comments:

Post a Comment